In 1905, with concern for the City of Carrollton’s fire protection, Mayor H.W. Long and Councilmen H.R. Robinson, C.T. West, Adamson, and J.C. Cheney moved to establish the city’s fire department. The mayor and council purchased the first firefighting equipment in March of 1905.
Posters and pamphlets were distributed in May of 1905 recruiting volunteers to form the Carrollton Fire department. On June 19, 1905, the mayor and city council resolved to act as a committee in conjunction with a citizens appointed committee to organize the fire department and the original constitution was written. Having the equipment, volunteers, and constitution required, the Carrollton Fire Department was established and ready to begin serving citizens. On October 9, 1905, Carrollton’s first fire Chief, A.P. Travis was elected. J.E. Conner, Dr. Sam Harris and Glenn Holmes were appointed as Captains. Emmett Smith served as the department’s Secretary and Treasurer.
On June 1, 1908, the first firefighting protective clothing was purchased and put in service. The equipment included aluminum fire helmets, rubber coats and rubber boots. Along with protective equipment, on September 1, 1908, the fire department deployed a team of horses and a fire wagon to serve the city. In 1916 the fire department received its first motorized fire apparatus, while keeping a team of horses and a fire wagon as a backup in case the fire truck was out of service.