From the time of the establishment of the Carrollton Fire Department in 1905, members of the department received training through company officers, drills, live fire training burns and guest instructors.
With the increase of stations and personnel along with the complications of modern firefighting, hazardous materials, medical services, auto extrication and rescue operations, there was an increased need for professional and technical training. In July of 1993, Fire Chief Casey Coleman organized the department’s first official Training Division and appointed the first Training Division Director. Currently, under the direction of Lt. Brian Shadrix, each member of the fire department receives a minimum of 240 hours of training each year.
The Director is charged with training and teaching many subjects related to being a firefighter and is assisted by specialty instructors in Emergency Medical Services, extrication, hazardous materials, rope training, safety and firefighting. The Training Division also offers training to local industrial fire brigades, fire extinguisher training,
evacuation plans and fire safety classes to the public.
In addition to classroom training, members of the department receive training from the Georgia Fire Academy and other institutions. Practical and live fire training is conducted at the Public Safety Training Center located on Lovvorn Road. The Training Center has a 5 story drill tower, two story burn building, L.P. gas fire training tank, vehicle fire training car, dumpster fire training, flammable liquids training equipment, roof ventilation simulator, areas designated for teaching extrication and fire hose operations.